James Madison University (JMU) claimed that they will be building the first 3D-printing general education college classroom.
Since the vast majority of other universities already have 3D-printing facilities and labs, the James Madison University (JMU) 3-SPACE will be the first true 3D-printing college classroom in the country, built for general education courses that are open to all students and departments at the university.
The 3-SPACE classroom will be comprised of stations for 2-3 students, so that each student can have extended hands-on experience with 3D modeling and printing in a small group setting.
Afinia H-Series 3d printer will be located at each station so that students can learn more about this 3D printer and its accessibility to new users at this Workshopshed interview with Aaron Pratt, Afinia’s Vice President of Marketing.
3D PRINTING AND EDUCATION:
“The exploration of the 3D printing process from design to production, as well as demonstrations and participatory access, can open up new possibilities for learning activities.” – NMC 2013 Higher Education Horizon Report
“‘This is a curriculum that challenges young people to design and innovate – essential skills for them to participate in an increasingly technological world.” – Richard Green, Chief Executive of the Design and Technology Association, on whythe new British national curriculum calls for a 3D printer in every grade school.
Other Universities activities to make 3D Printing accesible:
- Virginia Tech: Dream Vendor, a student-accessible 3D-printing station in Mechanical Engineering
- University of Rhode Island: 3D Teaching Animation Program, for printing pharmaceutical models
- Cornell University: Creative Machines Lab, 3D-printed robotics and bio-printing in Mechanical Engineering
- University of Mary Washinton: ThinkLab, a 3D-printing, robotics, and electronics Library makerspace
- University of Michigan: 3D Lab, an interdisciplinary service facility that provides 3D-printing access and training
- University of Illinois: MakerLab, the first Business School 3D printing lab
- North Carolina State University: Makerspace, a Library lab for 3D printing, laser cutting, and scanning
Find more at GeekHaus